Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Signs & Manifestations

So I miss my mother in law and the other night while in my cups I got all teary and emotional. As my wife was hugging me I suddenly saw one of my sharpening steels start to swing from it's hook. At this point my wife and I both agreed that this was a sign from mom saying that she was OK. Now you have to understand this sharpening steel probably weighs around 2-3 pounds and hangs from a cup hook over my counter. There are actually two of them hanging near one another and the other one wasn't moving one iota. We were also standing about three feet away. It was actually very comforting to know that mom is in a place where she is OK.
The weird thing is that this has happened with this same steel before but in California. We lived in a house that was a tad bit haunted. The old owner had died there and strange things sometimes occurred. Like that steel all of a sudden moving or knocks on the door when no one was there or things disappearing and then later, maybe months later, reappearing.
Maybe I have inherited some of this from my mother. My mother has seen ghosts and had premonitions all her life. When she was a little girl her Aunt Mag used to sit on the end of her bed and call her name. The only problem was that Aunt Mag was dead. Then in Millbury, Massachusetts when we lived on Maple St. we had such things happen like flying tea cups, exploding fish tanks and The Man In The Red Shirt. When we moved to West St. in Fort Plain,NY the man in the red shirt came too. My dad also experienced some of this stuff so maybe my mother was a conduit. I don't know. I always told her that I would love to see a ghost but she said it is very scary and unsettling. I'd still like to try it out though. So there you have it. Now you know why I am like I am. It's those danged genes again.
By the way, I think people in California are so happy and out doorsy cuz they have all this amazing foliage around them all the time, along with the ocean and sunshine. At least it's like this in the La Jolla area. Here's a pic from our weekend there.

2 comments:

  1. What was the night of the sharpening steel? This is one of the other VERY FEW blogs I follow: http://emmatree.blogspot.com/2009/03/saturday-night-ghost.html
    It's kind of long, but she's a pretty writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a Tuesday. Maybe March 3?

    ReplyDelete